Data Usage and Privacy
We ask you to share some Personal Information in your personal profile in order to help you connect with others. This is yours and you can edit or delete it whenever you want. We are happy to abide by the GDPR, and this website is designed to enable it. We will also collect usage information and may aggregate information in order to improve the website (e.g. page views). We will not share your Personal Information unless the conditions require it (e.g. fraud or other legal issues). You can opt out of the website at any time and ask us to remove you from the database.
Irrespective of which country you reside in or supply information from, you authorize us to use your information in the United Kingdom and any other country where we may operate. We control and/or operate the Platform from Schumacher College offices in the United Kingdom. We do not represent that materials on the Platform are appropriate or available for use in other locations. Persons who choose to access this Platform from other locations do so on their own initiative and at their own risk, and are responsible for compliance with local laws, if and to the extent local laws are applicable.
What types of Personal Information do we collect?
The information we gather from users enables us to personalize and improve our the Schumacher Network Platform, and allows our users to set up a user account and profile that can be used to personalize their experience on the Platform. We collect the following types of information (all considered “Personal Information”) from our users:
Personal Information you provide to us:
We collect and store the following types of information on our servers only when you optionally choose to provide it to us by filling out a form or taking some other explicit action. You can choose not to provide us with any of the information below, but you may not be able to take advantage of certain features without providing the appropriate information.
- First and/or last name.
- City and Country
- User name and password.
- Profile information such as biography, location, website URL, and photo, affiliation with the College (to include courses undertaken and years attended/involved).
- Information publicly disclosed through our Platform.
Personal Information collected automatically:
In order to understand how our Platform is being used and to make it better, we also automatically receive, store, and log certain types of technical information whenever you interact with our Platform. Information of this sort includes:
- Technical information about a users’s browser and mobile device.
- Usage information such as the pages users request, searches they conduct, and features they interact with.
- IP address, tokens, cookies, and device identifiers.
- Crashes and error reports.
How do we use your information?
In addition to the specific uses discussed above, Personal Information you submit to us may be used in the following ways:
- To provide access to our Platform.
- To keep users logged into our Platform.
- To process or fulfill request(s) for information or features.
- To enable user-to-user communication and interaction.
- To solicit input and feedback to improve user experience.
- To connect users with their friends and/or contacts who are using the Platform and/or Service or who are interested in the same.
- To provide administrative services, manage account preferences, and to respond to and address technical issues, harm, or disputes.
- To help us optimise our Platform and features for users/members.
How do we share your Personal Information?
We will not disclose Personal Information of our users to any persons or entities outside of Schumacher College's 'Schumacher Network Platform Core Group' (who are responsible for delivering and maintaining the Platform), nor lease, license, rent, transfer, disclose, disseminate or otherwise grant access to such information unless:
- We believe in good faith, that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, or to investigate fraud;
- It is to any other third party with a user’s prior consent to do so;
- It is reasonably necessary to enforce our Platform terms and conditions, this Policy, or any other legal agreements we enter with our users;
- It is required to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, abuse, misuse, potential violations of law (or rule/regulation), and/or security or technical issues; or
- It is required or reasonably necessary to protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of us, our users, employees, minors, members of the public and/or our Platform.
We may also disclose information about you to our auditors or legal advisors in conjunction with accessing our disclosure obligations and/or rights under this Policy.
Types and disclosures of aggregate information
We may share aggregated information concerning our users, without attribution of Personal Information internally and with Schumacher College. In other words, we may combine your anonymized data with those of all or a particular group of our users to prepare collective profiles of our users and their activities for our internal use. Such information allows us to continue to grow and provide you with useful information through product development, and more relevant communications around the Platform. For example, we may use and/or share the following:
- Tracked number of our users who view certain pages or use certain features.
- Tracked user behavior and page views.
What do we do to keep your Personal Information secure?
We take commercially reasonable security measures to protect against unauthorized access to, or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of your Personal Information that you share and we collect and store. These security measures include practices such as:
- Keeping sensitive or Personal Information on a secured server behind a firewall.
- Using secure socket layer (“SSL”) technology.
- Internal reviews of our data collection practices and platforms.
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or any wireless network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information: (a) there are security and privacy limitations of the Internet which are beyond our control; (b) the security, integrity and privacy of any and all information and data exchanged between you and us through this Platform cannot be guaranteed and you transmit such information at your own risk; and (c) any such information and data may be viewed or tampered with in transit by a third party.
What can you do to protect your Personal Information?
While we are committed to taking all reasonable precautions to protect your Personal Information, there are steps you can take as well when using online services, such as ours:
- Create strong passwords and use them wisely (e.g. don’t use the same password for us that you use for your bank, for example).
- Do not disclose passwords to the Platform or Account Information to any other person.
- If logins are required for site access, be sure to sign off when finished using a shared computer.
- Be careful about disclosing personal information such as name, address, or e-mail address in discussion forums or other public areas of the sites. Any information disclosed in public user communication, can be collected and used by third parties and may result in unsolicited messages from third parties.
Be aware when clicking on hypertext links and third party advertising, if any, on the Platform.
Other sites accessible through our Platform, if any, via links or service partnerships have their own privacy policies and data collection, use and disclosure practices. We encourage you to review other websites’ policies before revealing any sensitive or personal information. We cannot be and are not responsible for maintaining your privacy once you leave our Platform and are not responsible for the policies or practices of third parties.
What can you do if you no longer want to receive communications from us?
You can opt out of any automated notifications or communications by:
- Edit your account settings to manage email subscriptions and if you wish to delete your user account.
- Contacting us with an unsubscribe request to our email address found at the end of this Policy; however our teammay still need to contact users who opt out personally, for example, in response to a support inquiry or if that user is in violation of our website terms and conditions.
How can you update, delete, or correct your personal information?
We believe you should have the ability to access, edit, and delete the Personal Information that you have provided to us and encourage you to promptly update your Personal information if it changes. You may change any of your Personal Information in your Account online at any time by:
- Logging in in accordance with instructions posted elsewhere on this Platform.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection
Our Platform is not designed or intended for use by children under 13. If you are under 18, you should use the Platform and Services only with involvement of a parent or guardian. Children under 13 may not submit any personally identifiable information to us, and if we discover that we have inadvertently gathered any such information from a child under 13, we will take appropriate steps to delete it. If you are the parent or guardian of a person under the age of 13 who has provided personally identifiable information to us, please inform us by contacting us at email@example.com and we will remove such information from our database.
What will happen if we change this Policy?
We may update this Policy from time to time. Use of information we collect now is subject to the Policy in effect at the time such information is used. This is how you will be notified if we make any material changes to our Policy:
- We may deliver an email announcement to the email address associated with each user account. It is each user’s responsibility to maintain a valid e-mail address as a registered user. If a user opts out of communications from us, they may not receive these notifications, however the changes will still govern any use of the Service, and users are still responsible for checking for any changes.
- We will post a notice on this Platform prior to the change becoming effective.
- We will post an updated Policy with a more recent effective date in the header.
How can you contact us?
By email at firstname.lastname@example.org