This is our early suggestions for the general patterns that make up health group process. We hope that this will evolve into a set of mutually agreed guidelines!
Before setting up a group
- Look at the groups list on the groups list page or the All Groups Explore page - is there a similar group already?
- Start a discussion topic in the whole community, to explore the subject or suggestion
- Invite your friends and contacts to the discussion topic and ask them to invite their friends
- Ask the Community Facilitator if they can share it in the fortnightly Community Update blog
- Have the discussion - do you feel that the topic is good for a group? Are there members showing obvious interest and desire to be involved?
- Identify the other members who are interested and start conversations about why/how/if you would start group together
Setting up a group
- Agree a group of group managers and your roles and interests (e.g. facilitator, writer, administrator, promoter)
- Explore (gently!) the issue of conflict resolution and facilitation around differences of opinion
- Explore any group processes you think would be useful - creating regular posts, welcoming members, finding new members, organising events, handling membership questions...
- Start the group with the group managers
- All Group Managers should be members of the 'Facilitators' Group. If you aren't added by the Community Facilitator, please join!
- Start writing blogs or discussions or resources
- Share the group's content via your personal networks and in the general stream
- Ask the Community Facilitator to share your group's status and content
Maintaining a group
- Share the work of maintaining a group!
- Encourage others to join the management roles
- Encourage others to write and share their blogs/resources/discussions/events
- Handle conflict responsibly and fairly
- If you are feeling a bit burnt out by having responsibility, speak to that, look for help, or handover to other group managers - step back for a bit